We’re speaking to citizens, experts, academics, civil servants and politicians all over the world, to find out what legitimacy means to them.
It’s an on-going conversation, and it’s too soon to make any firm conclusions about legitimacy, but we’re finding that many of the views we hear fall into five emerging themes – each as important as the other – that describe people’s feelings about government, and ways in which governments can grow their legitimacy:
- Work together with people towards a shared vision
- Bring empathy into government
- Build an authentic connection
- Enable the public to scrutinise government
- Value citizens’ voices and respond to them
Whether these themes strike a chord with you, or if your view of legitimacy is something completely different, tell us your thoughts over on our Facebook page